PM Modi during one of his Covid-19 talks announced “Aatmanirbhar Bharat” to Indian Public. The Government e-Marketplace (GeM), which comes under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, has made it compulsory for sellers to enter the Country of Origin while registering all new products on GeM.
Further, sellers, who had already uploaded their products before the introduction of Aatmanirbhar Bharat on GeM, are being reminded regularly to update the Country of Origin.
This is enforced with a warning that their products shall be removed from GeM if they fail to update the same. GeM has taken this significant step to promote ‘Make in India’ and ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’.
What is GeM
GeM is an abbreviation of Government e-Marketplace hosted by DGS&D (Directorate General of Supplies and Disposal) where common user goods and services can be obtained. GeM is a dynamic, self-sustaining, and user-friendly portal for making procurement by Government officers.
Reforms in public procurement are one of the main focus areas of the present Government. Government e-Marketplace can be considered as a very bold step taken by the Modi Government.
This step majorly aims to transform the way in which procurement of goods and services is done by the Government Ministries and Departments, Public Sector Undertakings, and other apex autonomous bodies of the Central Government.
Two groups of Secretaries made recommendations to the Prime Minister Modi of India in January 2016 to the setup of a dedicated e-market for different goods & services procured or sold by Government/PSUs besides reforming DGS&D.
As a result in the FY 2016-17, the Finance Minister in his Budget speech announced setting up a technology-driven platform in order to facilitate the procurement of goods and services by various Ministries and agencies of the Government.
The portal was launched on 9th August 2016 by the Commerce & Industry Minister. Presently more than 7400 products in about 150 product categories and hiring of transport services are available on GeM POC portal. Transactions for more than Rs 140 Crore have already been processed through GeM.
GeM is a completely paperless, cashless, and system driven e-marketplace that enables the procurement of common use goods and services with minimal human interface.
Advantages Of Aatmanirbhar Bharat GeM
- Buyers can easily Search, Compare, Select, and Buy facilities at a single platform.
- This portal has brought transparency and ease of buying.
- Buyers can check the vendor rating system.
- This portal has a user-friendly dashboard for buying and monitoring supplies and payments.
- There is an easy Return policy.
- Sellers have direct access to all Government departments.
- GeM acts like a one-stop-shop for marketing with minimal efforts similarly for bids/reverse auction on products/services.
- There are new Product Suggestions facility available to Sellers.
- This portal provides dynamic pricing: Prices will change based on market conditions.
- This portal is Seller friendly dashboard for selling and monitoring of supplies and payments.
- It has consistent and uniform purchase procedures.
Aatmanirbhar Bharat GeM Facilities
- The listing of common use products for individual, prescribed categories of Goods/Services is mentioned in this platform.
- One can easily look, estimate, compare, and buy facility on a dynamic pricing basis.
- One can easily buy Goods and Services online, as and when required.
- Single window system for aggregating demands and ordering
- Offers transparency and ease of buying.
- This platform is useful for low-value buying and also for bulk buying at a competitive price using Reverse Auction/e-bidding.
- There is the availability of a continuous vendor rating system.
- User-friendly dashboard for buying and monitoring supplies and payments
- There is a provision of the Return policy.
Aatmanirbhar Bharat GeM Features
- GeM brings in Transparency and enhances Efficiency.
GeM eliminates human interface in vendor registration, order placement, and payment processing, to a great extent. Being an open platform, GeM offers no entry barriers to bonafide suppliers who wish to do business with the Government. At every step, SMS and e-Mail notifications are sent to both buyers, his/her head of the organization, paying authorities as well as sellers.
- GeM is Secure and safe.
GeM is a completely secure platform and all the documents on GeM are e-Signed and antecedents of the suppliers are verified online and automatically through MCA21, Aadhar, and PAN databases. GeM does a 100% online verification of all vendors irrespective of the value of procurement.
- Potential to support Make in India
On GeM, the filters for selecting goods which are Preferential Market Access (PMA) compliant and those manufactured by Small Scale Industries(SSI), enable the Government buyers to procure Make in India and SSI goods very easily.
- Savings to the Government
The transparency, efficiency, and ease of use of the GeM portal has resulted in a substantial reduction in prices on GeM, in comparison to the tender, Rate Contract and direct purchase rates. The average prices on GeM are lower by at least 15-20%, and in some cases even up to 56%.
Latest Updates by Modi Government
GeM has also enabled a provision for an indication of the percentage of local content in products. With this new feature, now, the Country of Origin as well as the local content percentage are visible in the marketplace for all items. More importantly, the ‘Make in India’ filter has now been enabled on the portal.
Buyers can choose to buy only those products that meet the minimum 50% local content criteria. In the case of Bids, Buyers can now reserve any bid for Class I Local suppliers (Local Content > 50%). For those Bids below INR 200 crore, only Class I and Class II Local Suppliers (Local content > 50% and > 20% respectively) are eligible to bid, with Class I supplier getting purchase preference.